Thursday 16 February 2012

Maybe you need to rebirth him?

Lochie's frustrations at school increased over the last few years at Primary School.  I remember his grade 5 teacher calling me in for a chat. 
"he just can't sit still", she said.
"yes, the occupational therapist told me he has to move in order to stimulate his brain to learn and remember so no, he doesn't sit still", I told her.  It was all in his file, I wish I didnt have to continue to have the same conversation over and over.
"And you used to take him to babyshows?",  she asked.
"yes", geez where was this going?
She wasn't backward in saying what she thought.  "So, do you think that the babyshows was what caused all his problems?".
"No"
"Seems like he really hasn't developed like the other kids.  Have you considered rebirthing?"

What the?  Well I hadn't expected that one.  She then explained that there was a program for kids with behaviour or learning problems called Rebirthing.  The whole set up seemed pretty weird.  Lochie was ten at the time.  She explained it to me.  The child is covered with warm wet blankets and the mum puts pressure on the blanket so he feels like he is in a womb. Then the mother proceeds, with the help of the program facilitator, to "give birth" to the child as he tries to wriggle out the blanket whilst the mum and the facilitator press down on the blanket so it's hard for him.  The mum has to do all the breathing, and noises of pushing as the child emerges from the blanket as if he is being born again.  Apparently it all ends with the child feeling like he has a new begining of life and comes out without learning disability or behaiour issues. 

It may surprise you to hear, but I didn't take her advice.  Lochie wasn't in need of that, and I was more concerned about the damage that may cause.

Taking Lochie to school on his first day of grade six was traumatic.  He was ok until we tuned into the street. He broke down and sobbed.  He couldnt stop crying.  My normally happy, smiley little boy was in extreme distress.  I drove past the school and pulled over. 

"I can't do it Mum, Ill never be able to do grade six.  It's too hard.  Everyone else can do the work except for me."  I'd never seen him this upset. 

We drove home and he missed that first day.  We did a lot of talking, and preparing for the next day and he went off ok.  I was sick with stress, and obviously he was too, but better at hiding it.  I did wonder how he would survive the year.  What would happen the next year at high school? 


Lochie's nanna was a retired teacher.  He was lucky that she came up three days per week to help him get his literacy up to where it needed to be.  He loved the time with her and I think it really was good for her too.   A retired teacher needs to teach.  She loved it.

Her work wasn't in vain.  Lochie ended up doing his testing for high school and not qualifying for an aide.  So off he went to high school.   If we think we had trouble in primary school...I had no idea what I was in for at high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment