Wednesday 10 April 2013

Less than Average Customer Service

Earlier today I was at my local Australia Post Office.  The man before me was called the the desk.  He had an application for a passport in his hand.
He passed it across the counter to the Customer Service Officer.
She glanced at it quickly and pushed it back to him.  "This isn't complete.  Finish it and bring it back".
"Oh," he said.  "I'm sorry I dont read that well and need a bit of help with it.  Could you please help me?"
The Customer Service Officer rolled her eyes.  "No, I'm not here to fill in forms all day.  Finish it and bring it back."
"But I dont understand question six.  Can you please read it to me?" he asked.
"Finish it and bring it back," she said again, already looking past him at me to come to be served.  I waited.
"I'm sorry and I'm not wanting to hold up the line, but I can't do it without help.  Could you please help me?" he begged looking very embarressed.  He was speaking in a very quiet voice and had his head down.
I was the only person in the line so I just quickly said "I'm fine don't worry", and smiled at the CSO.
"Sir, please move away.  I'm not here to help you.   Go finish the form and come back when its done," she said.

He looked around briefly the put his head down and hurried out to his car.  I didn't have  a chance to offer help but I felt so sorry for him.  He was obviously embarressed at not being able to read and understand the form.
 

People tend to judge others who cant read.  They do it much more openly than the would judge someone who couldn't walk, hear or talk.  It seems that discrimination against dyslexics is accepted.  This is totally sickening and needs to be changed.  The only way this will happen is by people learning more about dyslexics and dyslexic people sharing their stories.

Subscribe to my blog for stories about situations my son has been in and perhaps there are times that, by understanding a little bit more and being more mindful of people around us, that we can all make a bit of a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment