Monday 1 April 2013

Parent Teacher Interview

Standing in the huge school hall filled with rows and rows of desks my mind flashed back to the days of high school exams.  Today, however, was not about exams.  It was about something that made me more nervous than any VCE student.  Year 7 Parent Teacher interviews.
My stomach churned as I looked around for the teachers who had "requested" interviews with me to discuss Lochie's education.  I lined up at Mr Barlow, the woodwork teacher, first.  Lochie was so good with his hands that surely this would be a positive one to start with.
I watched Mr Barlows current interview.  Mr Barlow, parent and child were all looking relaxed and smiling a lot.  Perhaps this might be an ok interview.  Mr Barlow might be really nice.
"Thank you so much for coming", smiled Mr Barlow as he shook the hand of the smiling parent and ruffled the hair of the cheerful little boy as they bounced off to see the next teacher.
He beconed for me to come and sit.  I looked around anxiously for Lochie.  He seemed to have disappeared.  Surprise, thats not unusual for Lochie.  Always distracted.
"Come, come", called the teacher again.  I sat on the hard chair, and glanced around again for Lochie. 
"So, and who's parent are you", he asked smiling.
"Lachlan Montgomery, 7S", I smiled back.  I caught a glimpse of Lochie out of the corner of my eye and started waving.  He didn't see me.
I looked back to Mr Barlow.  He was no longer smiling.
"Hmmm", he said.  "Lochie, is often somewhat distracted in class.  He is failing woodwork."
My heart sank.  Surely Lochie would be doing ok in a class like this.
"Seriously?", I asked.
"Yes.  He seems unable to follow instructions.  There is nothing wrong with the quality of work he achieves, but, he doesn't follow the process that is written out and therefore makes errors."
Oh no, it seems that even a woodwork class relys on written instructions. Don't teachers ever teach anymore?
"I see.  Did you realise that Lochie is dyslexic and the written instructions would cause a problem for him?  It is clearly noted in his file." I explained.
"I didn't know but I don't care." Mr Barlow was clear.  He had no intention of arguing the point.  To him, Lochie wasn't easy.  He was too creative, too quick and did things before he had been shown.  A problem in the class.
Result: Fail for woodwork

I was really disappointed, and surprised.  Lochie explained later how woodwork class was conducted.  Students came in and were handed a sheet of instructions.  The teacher showed the finished product and explained what tools would be required along with strict safety guidelines.  Students then had to follow the instructions and produce identical pencil boxes, model airplanes etc.  Lochie said that it was true that he rarely read the instructions and simply looked at the finished product and made it.  He said his was usually better adding in things like rounded corners, shaped feet or extra hinges.
I sighed.  How can you win that battle.  He produced a great product but didnt fit into the box the teacher needed him to.
If I were a teacher and had a student that had a talent for woodwork and was failing every other class (except physical education), I would put in efforts to engage with him and expand his talents.  If the whole education system is aimed at engaging students in school until they are 17, how can teachers not attempt to engage using a students talent just because it takes a little extra effort.

A class that should have been enjoyable and an escape from the constant pressure to read, failed to provide that environment.

Instead, it joined the long list of things that school did to destry Lochie's self esteem and happiness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment