Wednesday 3 April 2013

If you can't see it, it doesn't exist

Writing that last post, I was reminded of another interesting Parent Teacher interview I had the displeasure of attending.
Lochie had been having trouble in English (as usual) and I wasn't expecting an uplifting interview.  I was further convinced it wasn't going to be positive when the teacher glared at Lochie before we even got to sit down.
"Well Lochie, I guess you can start explaining to your mother why you don't even try in Engligh", she leaned over the desk, still glaring.
Lochie looked at me and shrugged.
I looked back at the teacher who had shifted her glare to me.
"What is it exactly that Lochie doesn't try", I asked her.
"He REFUSES to read out aloud."   She sat back in her chair and folded her arms and glared even harder at Lochie.
I looked at Lochie, who looked at me and shrugged again.
"Are you aware that Lochie is dyslexic so reading is a problem for him?" I asked.
"Being obedient is a problem for him and yes I know about his apparent dyslexia" she snorted rolling her eyes. "Last week I asked him to stand up and read out aloud and he just said no.  When I told him he had to he just walked out of the class".
Loc had his head down.  I asked him to wait in line for the next teacher while I finish this one up.  I didnt want this woman to further embarress him.
I turned to her.  I believe my glare was ten times more intense than hers.
"Do you understand that Dyslexia is a disability and asking a dyslexic child to read out aloud is the equivalent of asking a person in a wheelchair to walk?  Lochie struggles to read and he does try and suffers a great deal of anxiety and depression over his problem."
 "All I know is that when Lochie has to read he comes up with all kinds of excuses.  I know about dyslexia but it seems that every kid who wants to get out of work is suddenly dyslexic", she shook her head.
"Lochie has been having tests since he was in grade one.  His file is thick and he has spent a lot of time with the welfare team talking about strategies to deal with his dyslexia.  There as a teaching plan in place.  He should never have been asked to read out aloud."  It was no use, she wouldn't listen. 

To many people, dyslexia is made up, or just an excuse.  To  a dyslexic person, it is an incredible frustration to have a high intelligence and low ability to read  at the level of other people.  Lochie is highly social and very popular.  Getting made to stand in front of a class and be made to look a fool because he couldn't read was more than he could bare so he walked out.

I sincerely wish the people would understand and learn more about this issue.  Teachers especially need to be more supportive and understanding.  I do know that it would be very difficult to have a dyslexia child in the class, that would need extra attention, different work, different methods of assessment.  But, if you think about the impact that having your self esteem totally shattered and how long that takes to rebuild; the impact that being understood can have on a persons sense of value; wouldn't it be worth it?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment