Thursday 21 March 2013

Battle continues

I sent a letter to explain the situation with Lochies condition and why the ticket was not purchased for the train.



My son, Lachlan Montgomery, has been issued the above infringement notice for travelling without a valid ticket. 
Lachlan is dyslexic and does not use public transport.  On the day in question, Lachlan lost his car keys and had to get a train home.  He is unable to read the instructions to purchase the new metcard from the machine.   As a 19 year old with a disability, he felt embarrassed to ask for help to buy a ticket from the ticket machine.  As the station was unmanned, he could not purchase a ticket through the station either. 
Lachlan took the train to Dandenong, got off the train and went to purchase a ticket before he continued he journey home to Beaconsfield.  He was on his way to purchase a ticket when he was questioned by the ticket inspector.  He explained that he cannot read or understand the instructions on the ticket machine and was on his way to the line to purchase a ticket, but the ticket inspector issued him a ticket anyway. 
I understand that Ticket Inspectors hear many stories each day and most are not valid.  Lachlan has an actual disability and until he began working, I was paid a disability carer allowance from Centrelink to assist him with day to day activities.  In general, Lochie functions quite well, but, in a situation where you need to read, he is unable to cope and this is what has happened in this instance. If you could look at the amount of reading on those new ticket machines and think for one minute how someone would feel if they couldn’t read at all, I’m sure you will comprehend his anxiety in this situation.  If I could have foreseen any circumstance that Lochie would have needed a metcard, I would have bought him one for emergencies, which I have now.
I’m asking for this infringement to be waived due to Lochies disability and the fact that we have now put a strategy in place for any future emergencies. 
If the infringement is not waived, I request having this offence heard and determined in court. 
Regards,
Tracy Montgomery
0425748459

The response I received was a return letter stating that I would need a GP (doctor) to write a letter to show that Lochie was in fact, suffering from Dyslexia.  

Really?  A Doctor can now diagnose dyslexia?  Insanity.  
Of course no doctor could provide that kind of letter.

I responded with another letter stating that dyslexia was not something that a doctor could diagnose.  I requested a court date where I could state my case and Lochie would have a chance to explain his situation to a Judge. 

Next letter, Infringement waived.  

Yay, it's not often I get a win but I did today for Lochie.  
I sincerely wish that government organisations had a bit more understanding of certain disabilies including dyslexia.

Do you have a story of having to prove dyslexia?  Please share in the comments or email me directly at tracy@nutsup.com.au.

No comments:

Post a Comment